Friday, September 19, 2014

Tom Nolan tries to silence me after I told Jim Lentz about a major foreign recall

Bully Tom Nolan tries to impose silence.
The answer is "no."

Sound of silence (for reference) Key quote: "silence like a cancer grows"

Yesterday Toyota's top defense henchman Tom Nolan had the chutzpah to try to tell me to stop sending emails to Toyota. Why must I stop? Frankly, I see no logic to this. It is not in the public interest that Toyota executives should be kept in the dark about important safety matters from overseas, when they might not otherwise be well informed about these matters.

As I reported here yesterday by posting the email, the point was, in my role as a blogger about Toyota's SUA safety defect, to ask for more information on the recall, and to inform Lentz of a matter that  he should know about.
This is a matter worth reporting, and Toyota's response is also worth making public. 

The DOJ should also know about this foreign recall and Toyota's attempt to stop me from saying any more about any such things.
Kelley was also bccd.
So, Tom, go to hell. I will not be silent when lives are at stake.

Dear Dean,

We have noticed that Ms. Benjaminson continues to communicate directly with Toyota employees, including by sending emails to the CEO of Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A., Inc.  In our view, it would be best if those communications cease, at least while the sanctions proceedings are pending.  Better for the parties to communicate through counsel; if you agree, we hope you will make that suggestion to Ms. Benjaminson.

We look forward to speaking with you.

Tom Nolan


Thomas J. Nolan
Chair, West Coast Litigation
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
300 South Grand Avenue | Los Angeles | California | 90071-3144