Friday, September 19, 2014

Mr. Kelley, behold Tom Nolan's "Silence Betsy" email


Behold the latest effort at silencing.


Date: Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 8:14 AM
Subject: Fwd: FW: In Re Toyota Motor Corp. - 8:12ML2151
To: toyotamonitor@cahill.com
Dear Mr. Kelley:

I think it is important for you to know that Toyota has made an effort to stop me from communicating to its employees (in this case, Jim Lentz and the Toyota HQ PR department) about an important SUA-related foreign recall, and about anything else, and has given no reason for me to stop communicating. Obviously I am not communicating on any matter related to our dispute in the MDL court.
I copied you on the email that I sent to them yesterday about the foreign recall.
I am concerned that they are making this effort in order to prevent US executives from learning about safety issues that they would then be obligated to report to you and to NHTSA.
If possible, please follow up and confirm that Mr. Lentz has indeed received the information about the recall, and that he has handled it appropriately.

I may continue this effort to inform Mr. Lentz about important SUA related safety information that comes to my attention and will continue to copy you on those communications. I think he is the most important person to inform because his public statements about Toyota SUA are the most obvious lies, as was documented by Representatives Waxman and Stupak in 2010.
Frankly, I am astounded that he was not personally prosecuted, and I hope that you will revisit the matter of his personal conduct.

Thank you and with respect,
Betsy Benjaminson








From: Nolan, Thomas J [mailto:Thomas.Nolan@skadden.com]
Subject: In Re Toyota Motor Corp. - 8:12ML2151
Importance: High

Dear Dean,

We have noticed that Ms. Benjaminson continues to communicate directly with Toyota employees, including by sending emails to the CEO of Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A., Inc.  In our view, it would be best if those communications cease, at least while the sanctions proceedings are pending.  Better for the parties to communicate through counsel; if you agree, we hope you will make that suggestion to Ms. Benjaminson.

We look forward to speaking with you.

Tom Nolan

Thomas J. Nolan
Chair, West Coast Litigation
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
300 South Grand Avenue | Los Angeles | California | 90071-3144