Tuesday, August 5, 2014

"Meet and confer" - what scene will that be?


Kissy kissy...? or "open and snap!"

Well, I am drafting and redrafting my motion to quash or modify the subpoena. Yes, that comes next. But before I file it, I am apparently obligated to go through a legal ritual known as "meet and confer," as all of you lawyers reading this are quite well aware.

This ritual will involve my writing a businesslike note mainly to Skadden's adorable and sweet point man Kevin Minnick, who seems to be forbidden to contact me directly so far. (Plus, of course, I must CC his bosses.) I am supposed to then invite him to talk over my concerns that the subpoena is a prime example of "natural fertilizer," whoops, I mean, has some elements that are more than ever so slightly unsupported by the court order.

Kevin, I'm writing this to let you know that I don't bite, nor do I kiss. So please answer my email when I write it to you. I will really be quite businesslike with you, promise. And we will get along fine, because you really know, deep down, that you are wrong and I am right about the substantive issue of Toyota's culpability.