Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Koua Fong Lee vs. Toyota - new trial may broaden the scope of Toyota's known sudden acceleration defect


How do you smell?

Today once again, Toyota is being tried for damages relating to sudden acceleration. This time the company has been sued by Koua Fong Lee, the driver who was wrongly imprisoned for vehiclular homicide and later released after the presentation of compelling evidence that the car was at fault.

The introduction of the company's electronic throttle control system (ETCS) in the early 2000s was not the real beginning of SUA. Nor is the problem confined to automatic transmission vehicles. Here is one driver's story. At least this time the dealer did not blame the driver. The dealer blamed a pack rat that he said been in the engine compartment. This is a known problem with rats. However, this time, I smell a rat, but it is of a different type.

Feb 01, 2010 - Tucson, AZ - Vehicle Speed Control
IN SEPTEMBER 2009, I WAS STARTING MY 
1999 TOYOTA 4RUNNER IN MY DRIVEWAY. I DRESSED THE CLUTCH AS USUAL AND TURNED THE KEY. THE ENGINE STARTED, I HEARD A "POP", AND IT BEGAN RUNNING AT FULL THROTTLE AND WAS RACING FOR SEVERAL MINUTES UNTIL I FINALLY TURNED IT OFF. THE RPM GAUGE WAS AT ITS MAXIMUM. I DID NOT HAVE A FLOOR MAT ON THE DRIVERS SIDE, I DID NOT HAVE MY FOOT ON THE GAS, AND WAS NOT DOING ANYTHING TO RACE THE ENGINE. I COULD NOT MAKE THE ENGINE STOP RACING. I TRIED TO PUT MY FOOT ON THE GAS PEDAL AND THEN RELEASED IT. IT WAS STILL RACING, AND THE GAS PEDAL WAS NOT DEPRESSED OR CAUGHT ON ANYTHING. FORTUNATELY, THE CAR WAS STILL IN NEUTRAL WITH THE PARKING BRAKE ON. IT WAS VERY SCARY, AS I COULD NOT MAKE THE ENGINE STOP RACING. I HAD TO TURN THE ENGINE OFF TO STOP IT. I TOOK IT TO THE TOYOTA DEALER, THEY COULD FIND NOTHING WRONG AFTER INSPECTING WITH A "SCAN TOOL" AND THE WIRING LOOKED GOOD. THEY SAID THAT IT WAS BECAUSE A PACK RAT HAD BEEN IN THE ENGINE AT THE TIME. (THAT'S A PRETTY LAME EXCUSE.) THEY SAID THEY COULD "CLEAN THE THROTTLE" AND "FLUSH THE FUEL LINE" WHICH I HAD THEM DO (COST $300.) BECAUSE I WAS SCARED TO DRIVE THE CAR UNTIL THEY DID SOMETHING.


Questions: Why can Toyota dealers tell consumers whatever excuses they damn please, and can get away with no legal liability?
And when will automakers admit to defects to prevent innocent drivers from going to jail?