Sunday, June 29, 2014

Draft for book jacket - sneak preview


I started translating Japanese for Toyota in 2010. Cars were zooming out of control, and the company was under investigation. I discovered that insiders knew the root cause could be electronics, and that Toyota did not want the world to learn that fact. Fatal crashes were leading to lawsuits. But PR people and Mr. Toyoda said “Our cars are safe.” I was transfixed with horror at the blood on the road and the invisible menace under the hoods of millions of cars. Then I cast aside my fear of reprisals and leaked the translated documents, seeking justice for victims and protection for the public.


I built a network of engineers, lawyers, auto safety watchdogs, reporters, victims, and congressional staffers. Truth emerged in stages as Toyota retreated from bravado to silence and secret settlements. The cover-up drew a $1.2 billion fine from the DOJ even without the electronics. The conflict still rages behind the scenes. Defiantly, I filled a blog with dozens of revealing internal documents. Toyota is seeking to silence me now. What will happen next?